Causes of Neonatal Deaths in a Rural Subdistrict of Bangladesh: Implications for Intervention
MetadataShow full item record
The study assessed the timing and causes of neonatal deaths in a rural area of Bangladesh. A population baseddemographic surveillance system, run by the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, recorded livebirths and neonatal deaths during 2003-2004 among a population of 224,000 living in Matlab, a rural subdistrict of eastern Bangladesh. Deaths were investigated using the INDEPTH/World Health Organization verbal autopsy. Three physicians independently reviewed data from verbal autopsy interview to assign the cause of death. There were 11,291 livebirths and 365 neonatal deaths during the two-year period. The neonatal mortality rate was 32.3 per 1,000 livebirths. Thirty-seven percent of the neonatal deaths occurred within 24 hours, 76% within 0-3 days, 84% within 0-7 days, and the remaining 16% within 8-28 days.Birth asphyxia (45%), prematurity/low birthweight (15%), sepsis/meningitis (12%), respiratory distress syndrome (7%), and pneumonia (6%) were the major direct causes of death. Birth asphyxia (52.8%) was the single largest category of cause of death in the early neonatal period while meningitis/sepsis (48.3%) was the single largest category in the late neonatal period. The high proportion of deaths during the early neonatal period and the far-higher proportion of neonatal deaths caused by birth asphyxia compared to the global average (45% vs 23-29%) indicate the lack of skilled birth attendance and newborn care for the large majority of births that occur in the home in rural Bangladesh. Resuscitation of newborns and management of low-birthweight/premature babies need to be at the core of neonatal interventional packages in rural Bangladesh.
This paper has been reproduced with the permission of icddr,b, copyright holder of the publication. The paper was originally published in the Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition (JHPN), Chowdhury HR, Thompson S, Ali M, Alam N, Yunus M, Streatfield PK. Causes of neonatal deaths in a rural sub-district in Bangladesh: implications for intervention. J Health Popul Nutr 2010;28:375-82.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Neonatal deaths in a rural area of Bangladesh: an assessment of causes, predictors and health care seeking using verbal autopsyChowdhury, Md. Hafizur Rahman (2008)Poor neonatal health is a major contributor to mortality in under-five children in developing countries, accounting for more than two thirds of all deaths in the first year of life, and for about half of all deaths in ...
A comparison of physicians and medical assistants in interpreting verbal autopsy interviews for allocating cause of neonatal death in Matlab, Bangladesh: can medical assistants be considered an alternative to physicians?Chowdhury, H.; Thompson, Sandra; Ali, Mohammed; Alam, N.; Yunus, M.; Streatfield, P. (2010)Objective. This study assessed the agreement between medical physicians in their interpretation of verbal autopsy (VA) interview data for identifying causes of neonatal deaths in rural Bangladesh. Methods. The study was ...
Global, regional, and national age–sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013Miller, Ted (2015)SummaryBackground Up-to-date evidence on levels and trends for age-sex-specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality is essential for the formation of global, regional, and national health policies. In the Global Burden ...