Evaluation of water quality pollution indices for heavy metal contamination monitoring: A case study from Curtin Lake, Miri City, East Malaysia
MetadataShow full item record
An integrated approach of pollution evaluation indices and statistical techniques was employed to assess the intensity and sources of pollution in Curtin Lake water, Miri City, East Malaysia. Fe, Pb and Se concentrations in most of the water samples exceed the maximum admissible concentration. The heavy metal evaluation index (HEI) shows strong correlations with heavy metal pollution index (HPI) and degree of contamination (Cd), and gives a better assessment of pollution levels. Samples from all the 25 locations in the lake were classified as high in Cd and low in HPI compared with the respective critical values. The modified schemes of HPI and Cd show comparable results with HEI and indicate that about 48 % of the samples with values lower than mean were classed as low contamination and the remaining samples (52 %) with values greater than the mean were classed as medium contamination. Cluster analysis, principal component analysis and pollution indices reveal that the quality of water is mainly controlled by natural/geogenic processes with minor anthropogenic input. US Salinity Laboratory plot and EC classification were also been used to assess the suitability of lake water for agricultural purpose. The current distribution level ofheavy metal in the lake water is of environmental and health concerns and needs attention.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Assessment of metals distribution and microbial contamination at selected Lake waters in and around Miri City, East MalaysiaPrasanna, Mohan; Nagarajan, Ramasamy; Chidambaram, S.; Aruchunan, Elayaraja (2012)A baseline study was carried out to assess the metal concentrations and microbial contamination at selected Lake waters in and around Miri City, East Malaysia. Sixteen surface water samples were collected at specific Lakes ...
Assessment and Distribution of Metals Contamination in Groundwater: a Case Study of Busan City, KoreaVenkatramanan, S.; Chung, S.; Kim, T.; Prasanna, Mohan Viswanathan; Hamm, S. (2015)The present research was carried out to assess the pH, electrical conductivity (EC), dissolved oxygen (DO), and metal concentrations of groundwater in Busan City, Korea. Forty groundwater samples were collected at the ...
Evaluation of Metal Pollution in Groundwater in the Industrialized Environs in and Around Dindigul, Tamilnadu, IndiaChidambaram, S.; Prasad, M.; Prasanna, Mohan Viswanathan; Manivannan, R.; Anandhan, P. (2015)Synoptic hydrogeochemical assessments of physico-chemical and metal concentrations were analyzed to understand the driving forces behind heavy and trace metal pollution dynamics in groundwater systems of the heavily ...