Use of a prospective survey method to capture a picture of overuse injuries in kitesurfing
MetadataShow full item record
© 2020, CIC Edizioni Internazionali s.r.l.. All rights reserved.
Background. Kitesurfing is one of the world’s fastest growing Olympic aquatic sports. However, previous scientific literature on this sport has mainly focused on acute inju-ries. The aim of this study was, therefore, to capture a picture of the burden of overuse injuries in kitesurfing.
Methods. Active kite-surfers regularly completed an online questionnaire, describing the health of their shoulders, lower back and knees as well as any injury related symp-toms.
Results. Forty-three participants completed a total of 304 questionnaires, covering a total period of 2,096 distinct person-days. Person-days of reduced participation related to shoulder, lower back and knee problems were 8 %, 3% and 8% of the total respectively. Performance was affected related to shoulder, lower back and knee problems in 11%, 22% and 16% of person-days respectively.
Conclusions. Overuse injuries emerged as an important predictor of reduced partici-pation, decreased performance and discomfort in kitesurfing. The prospective survey method captured a picture of overuse injuries in kitesurfing not previously described.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Eccentric Fatigue Modulates Stretch-shortening Cycle Effectiveness – A Possible Role in Lower Limb Overuse InjuriesDebenham, J.; Travers, M.; Gibson, W.; Campbell, Amity; Allison, Garry (2016)The role of fatigue in injury development is an important consideration for clinicians. In particular, the role of eccentric fatigue in stretch-shortening cycle (SSC) activities may be linked to lower limb overuse conditions. ...
Comparison of upper arm kinematics during a volleyball spike between players with and without a history of shoulder injuryMitchinson, Lara; Campbell, Amity; Oldmeadow, D.; Gibson, William; Hopper, Diana (2013)Volleyball players are at high risk of overuse shoulder injuries, with spike biomechanics a perceived risk factor. This study compared spike kinematics between elite male volleyball players with and without a history of ...
Nelson, R.; Hall, Toby (2011)Exercise-related lower limb pain represents one of the most common presentations in sports medicine practice. This is usually caused by musculoskeletal overuse injuries but not uncommonly, a neuropathic cause may be ...