A 220 kyr record of Pb isotopes at Dome C Antarctica from analyses of the EPICA ice core
MetadataShow full item record
 Pb isotopic compositions and Pb and Ba concentrations are reported in EPICA Dome C ice core samples dating to 220 kyr BP, indicating that Pb isotopic compositions in Antarctic ice vary with changing climate. 206Pb/207Pb ratios decrease during glacial periods, with the lowest values occurring during colder climatic periods (stages 2, 4 and 6) and the Holocene. Low Pb concentrations (<1 pg/g) were found during the Holocene and the last interglacial (climate stage 5.5) while higher Pb concentrations (>10 pg/g) were found during cold climatic periods. Ba, a proxy for mineral dust, was used to determine that dust usually accounts for ~ 70% of Pb in Dome C ice, while the remaining ~ 30% was attributed to volcanic emissions. Pb isotopic compositions at Dome C differ from those reported in pre-industrial ice from other Antarctic locations, due to greater proportions of dust Pb at Dome C.
Accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters. Copyright © 2005. American Geophysical Union. Further reproduction or electronic distribution is not permitted.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Measurement of Lead Isotopes in Snow and Ice from Law Dome and other sites in Antarctica to characterize the Lead and seek evidence of its originVallelonga, Paul Travis (2002)Human activities such as mining and smelting of lead (Pb) ores and combustion of alkyllead additives in gasoline have resulted in extensive global Pb pollution. Since the late 1960's studies of polar ice and snow have ...
Isotopic and elemental tracers in ice and snow as indicators of source regions of aerosols and changing environmental conditionsBurn, Laurie (2009)Pioneering studies of lead (Pb) concentrations in polar ice by Clair C. Patterson and co-workers (e.g. Murozumi et al., 1969; Boutron and Patterson, 1983, 1986) revealed important information on climatic changes dating ...
The lead pollution history of Law Dome, Antarctica, from isotopic measurements on ice cores: 1500 AD to 1989 ADVallelonga, Paul; Van de Velde, Katja; Candelone, Jean; Morgan, V.; Boutron, C.; Rosman, Kevin (2002)Lead isotopic compositions and Pb and Ba concentrations have been measured in ice cores from Law Dome, East Antarctica, covering the past 6500 years. ‘Natural’ background concentrations of Pb (0.4 pg/g) and Ba (1.3 pg/g) ...