A score for the prediction of cardiovascular events in the hypertensive aged
MetadataShow full item record
Background: With few exceptions, tools used to estimate cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk in those without prior events are based mainly on data from middle-aged subjects. Given the ever increasing number of older people, many with hypertension, a risk score relevant to this group is warranted. Our aim was to develop a cardiovascular risk equation suitable for risk prediction in elderly, hypertensive populations. Methods We utilized cardiovascular end point data from 4.1 years median follow-up in 5,426 hypertensive subjects without previous CVD from the Second Australian National Blood Pressure Study (ANBP2). Our risk model, based on Cox regression, was developed using 75% of subjects without evident CVD (n = 4,072), randomly selected and stratified by age and gender, and internally validated using the remaining 25%. The model was also externally validated against the Dubbo Study dataset. Results The final model included sex, age, physical activity in the 2 weeks prior to entry into study, family history, use of anticoagulants, centrally acting antihypertensive agents or diabetes medication, and an interaction term for sex and diabetes medication. The C-statistic was 0.65 (0.62–0.67) for our predictive model on the model development dataset and 0.62 (0.57–0.67) on the internal validation dataset. The Dubbo Data C-statistic for CVD was 0.68 (95% CI 0.65–0.71). Conclusions All models performed similarly. Because of greater ease of implementation, we recommend that existing algorithms be extended into older age groups.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Prediction of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality at 10 years in the hypertensive aged populationHuynh, Q.; Reid, Christopher; Chowdhury, E.; Huq, M.; Billah, B.; Wing, L.; Tonkin, A.; Simons, L.; Nelson, M.; Beilin, L.; Jennings, G.; Johnston, C.; Macdonald, G.; Marley, J.; McNeil, J.; Morgan, T.; Ryan, P.; West, M. (2015)© American Journal of Hypertension, Ltd 2014. All rights reserved. Background We have previously developed a score for predicting cardiovascular events in the intermediate term in an elderly hypertensive population. In ...
Central aortic reservoir-wave analysis improves prediction of cardiovascular events in elderly hypertensivesNarayan, O.; Davies, J.; Hughes, A.; Dart, A.; Parker, K.; Reid, Christopher; Cameron, J. (2015)Several morphological parameters based on the central aortic pressure waveform are proposed as cardiovascular risk markers, yet no study has definitively demonstrated the incremental value of any waveform parameter in ...
The antihypertensive MTHFR gene polymorphism rs17367504-G is a possible novel protective locus for preeclampsiaThomsen, L.; Mccarthy, N.; Melton, P.; Cadby, G.; Austgulen, R.; Nygård, O.; Johnson, M.; Brennecke, S.; Moses, Eric; Bjørge, L.; Iversen, A. (2016)Copyright © 2016 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved. OBJECTIVE: Preeclampsia is a complex heterogeneous disease commonly defined by new-onset hypertension and proteinuria in pregnancy. Women experiencing ...